While its cooking:
1) cook some bacon until it’s crispy, set it aside. 4 slices should be plenty.
2) slice an onion in half and then slice it thinly, throw into a pan/pot with some olive oil and cook well (I guess you could cook it in the bacon fat if you wanted to be hardcore. I cooked my bacon in the oven yesterday so this wasn’t an option… I don’t know that I would have cooked it in there actually)
3) toss in some chopped garlic
4) toss in some sliced mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms are browning and the onions are starting to carmelize.
5) add some spices. I added salt, fresh ground pepper, red pepper flakes, italian seasoning, and then remembered I had pesto in the fridge so I added about a tablespoon of pesto too. Mix it in well.
6) add some chopped tomato (not a lot, just a bit)
7) add lots of chopped spinach, like an entire bunch, it might seem like a lot but it will cook down a lot. Stir it in really well.
8 ) turn up the heat, add maybe a 1/4 cup (no more than that) of water from your pasta pot (pasta I’m assuming is done by now), crumble the bacon and add it in.
9) put on the lid and cook it for a few minutes, stir it up well once.
10) take the lid off and let most of the liquid boil out, leaving a bit to distribute the goodness in the pot onto the pasta.
11) Now I cooked my veggies in a big soup pot, so I drained my pasta and then tossed it into that pot. You could also combine the pasta and vegetable goodness in a big bowl. Stir well.
12) plate it and grate lots of fresh parmesan on top.